UAE Updates Implementing Rules for Audio, Video, IT & Office Equipment
The Emirates Authority for Standardization & Metrology (ESMA) has issued Version 1.2 of the document providing implementing rules for the regulation of audio/video and IT/office equipment categorized under the Low Voltage Equipment Regulation in the United Arab Emirates.
- Inclusion of standard IEC 62368-1:2014 (2nd Edition)
- Acceptance of CBTRs and CBTCs (within 3-year validity) issued against either 2nd or 3rd Edition of the IEC 62368-1
- Inclusion of 20 December 2021 – Transition from 2nd to 3rd edition of the IEC 62368-1 standard
- Inclusion of the product categories/classifications to be used when dealing with EQM Applications
From 1 November 2019, all products defined within the document shall comply with applicable standard/s and have a valid Certificate of Conformity (CoC) issued under ECAS/EQM.
From 20 December 2020, all products defined within the document shall comply with the IEC 62368-1 standard (2nd or 3rd Edition) and have a valid Certificate of Conformity (CoC) issued under ECAS/EQM. All ECAS/EQM Certificates of Conformity (CoCs) issued under the IEC 60065 and/or IEC 60950-1 are considered invalid/void.
From 20 December 2021, all products defined within the document shall comply with the IEC 62368-1 standard (3rd Edition) and have a valid Certificate of Conformity (CoC) issued.
The scope includes all audio/video and IT/office equipment categorized as Low Voltage Equipment (LVE) designed to be purchased and used by end-users or consumers for daily and non-commercial/non-professional purposes. It includes all products supplied through both B2B and B2C commercial transactions.
Products covered include:
- Non-professional stand-alone audio products:
- Record players
- Disc players
- Mp3 players
- Speaker systems
- Sound bars (Bluetooth or otherwise)
- Other audio products
- Non-professional stand-alone video playing and recording systems:
- VCD, DVD, Blu-ray players
- Digital still and video cameras
- Game consoles
- Videoke/Karaoke multimedia systems
- TV decoders and set-top boxes
- Consumer series desktops and laptop computers, all-in-one PCs
- Tablets and palm pilots
- Desktop/computer monitors
- Printers/scanners (i.e. inkjet, laser, etc.) – includes office printers, multi-function printers (MFP), label printers, portable or stand-alone
- Non-professional routers, repeaters
- Touch drawing pads
- Landline phones (corded/cordless)
- External hard drives supplied with an external power supply (i.e. NAS – Network-attached storage, etc.)
The following products are exempted:
- Industrial / Commercial / Professional audio/video systems
- Industrial / Commercial / Professional IT equipment
- Large format printers
- Interactive displays or smart boards
- Mobile phones, network and/or IP phones
- Two-way radios
- Keyboards, mouse, trackball/trackpad (wired/wireless)
- Stand-alone (plug-in) external hard drives, USB thumb drives, SD cards, etc.
- Spare parts and/or accessories (i.e. lenses & flashes for cameras, ink/ink cartridges for printers, etc.)
Product Categories (Grouping intended for EQM Applications)
- Stand-alone audio products
- Stand-alone video playing and recording systems
- Computing products
- Telecommunication products
- Printing products
To find out how we can help you stay on top of regulations from across the globe, why don’t you Book a Demo today?