This legislation covers the protection and enforcement of the rights of the consumer, focusing on legislation concerned with safeguarding consumers from trade practices which are unconscionable, unfair, unreasonable, unjust or otherwise improper, and from conduct deemed deceptive, misleading, unfair or fraudulent.
Our coverage of consumer protection in C2P tracks global key consumer protection laws and regulations encompassing measures on warranties & guarantees, unfair contract terms and product labeling, as well as requirements relating to the repair, replacement or refund of products and services.
Consumer protection needs to keep up with the digital products and services now available, as well as the manner in which consumers can transact online.
E-commerce/online platforms have made it easier for counterfeiters to operate, increasing the risk of deceptive commercial practices to the detriment of consumers. Products cannot mislead the consumer regarding its characteristics, such as origin, composition, certification status, etc. and cannot intentionally misrepresent something they are not, for example by false advertising or labeling.
This topic covers legislation for the protection of consumers against counterfeit/fraudulent products and, more generally, against unfair commercial practices.
- Business to consumer contracts for the supply of digital content such as: data produced and supplied in digital form, services allowing for the creation, processing or storage of data in digital form (e.g. cloud storage), services allowing for the sharing of data
- Contracts for distance selling/online sales (including cooling off period requirements)
- Liability for defective products
- E-commerce protections
- Consumer disclosure requirements
- Product marketing claims (including environmental claims)
- Accessibility requirements for products and services in order to maximise their use by persons with disabilities
Learn more about our Regulatory Coverage
Speak to one of our team today for more information on our regulatory content.